In a recent discussion over at the Coaches Support Group, I posed the question, “Traits of a Great Coaching Niche – What would you say it has?
You’ll need to join the group to see the discussion unfold, but let me extract the top points made by contributors in my own words, here:
- You can relate and understand the niche.
- The niche is exciting and fun for you. You’re passionate about it. You’ll be excited to get out of bed in the morning to work with your niche.
- It’s easy to find your target market and market to them (get in front of them). You can market to this niche with reasonable cost and effort.
- The niche is within the area of your expertise. You have a great story with lots of valuable lessons to share with the niche. It helps tremendously if you have expertise or experience in that field. I wouldn’t want to be coached by someone on my business-growth or on improving my public speaking if they are not super good at it.
- You can dominate the niche as the leader (there’s some further discussion on this).
- Must serve a target market that has a pain, challenge, or burning desire that is so strong and that they are willing to pay for it coaching help.
- A niche where others are already generating money in it – it’s proven. People in this niche see coaching as valuable. People in this niche can afford to pay for a coach.
- My favorite kind of client is in this niche. You enjoy working with the people in this.
- You have time to develop this niche – you can learn, find them, quickly get around them and position yourself in it.
To see the full discussion, join The Coaches Support Group and seek “Traits of a Great Coaching Niche” in the discussions.
Are you experiencing any major ahas from this list? Got ideas of your own as to what traits would make a great niche? Love to hear your comments below.